Instructions for New Dentures
Download a PDF version of this information pamphlet.
Instructions for patients with new dentures
- The denture should be worn for 24 hours after they are inserted.
- Always wear dentures at least 24 hours before an adjustment is made.
- Dr Wucher will adjust sore spots as they occur when the denture settles.
- It is natural to experience fullness of the mouth with new dentures.
- Expect to have excessive flow of saliva.
- At first you will have a feeling of looseness, especially the lower denture. You will adjust to it as your tongue learns to handle the new situation.
- The lower denture is harder to adjust to than the upper.
- Start out with small bites of soft food, chew straight up and down and try to chew on both sides.
- Bite anything as far back in your mouth as possible.
- In biting an apple or similar hard fruit or vegetable, you exert a force toward the teeth. This could dislodge them.
- If you are eating food well in six to eight weeks, you are doing fine.
- You should brush the dentures inside and out at least two times a day with denture cleaner and a denture brush.
- Clean dentures over a basin partially filled with water or over a towel, to prevent breakage in case they should be dropped accidentally.
- To clean calculus or tartar from dentures, soak them overnight in denture cleaner or white vinegar. Then remove loose calculus by brushing. Soak them in clean water for 1 hour to get rid of the taste of vinegar.
- After 8 weeks your denture should be left out at night to give your gums a rest.
- Whenever your denture is left out of your mouth, it should be kept in clean water to prevent it drying out.
- It will be more difficult to adjust to new dentures if you had no old dentures or no teeth for a long period of time.
- You should return to be examined every six months.
- It is perfectly natural for a little food debris to collect under the dentures.
- Sneezing will usually dislodge any denture.
- The fee for dentures will include a six-month adjustment period necessary to give comfort. Further periodic adjustments will not be included in the fee. The fee for these appointments will depend on what needs to be done.
- Immediate dentures almost always need to be relined within six months to one year. The denture doesn't change, the underlying tissue does.
- Using excessive amounts of denture adhesive to retain ill-fitting dentures invites serious problems and more involved correction at a later date.
- Please call us if we may be of further service to you.
Smileline Cosmetic Dental Studio